I'm back!



It's been awhile since I post anything on this....and by awhile I mean, years ago. I apologies to any of my readers, if I have any to begin with, that it took me awhile to finally post something on this blog. The major problem I have is that.....I have no idea what to write. Yeah, it's called "My views on anything"....but I don't have any idea what to write. My brain has this weird thing going where I suddenly have loads of idea when I'm idle...but when I want to put it in writing, I blank out like an amnesiac who got hit the neuralizer.

The point is that I have a hard time coming up with what to write but it kept gnawing at me as I want to share my thoughts with the world and I do have a lot of thoughts that I had in store. That and I am easily distracted from time to time and every time I want to write it here, there's something else that comes up and I end up forgetting what I was supposed to be doing. This time, I'll try my level best not to be distracted and I also plan on writing my stories here now for my readers to enjoy...that is if I have some but hey, if I don't try I will never know, right?

So, what's on my agenda today? Well, I could gush about my favorite anime...let's go with that. My favorite anime...and my first dip into the anime pool is none other than Dragon Ball. If anyone out there knows who I am, I make no secret that I am a huge Dragon Ball fan. I've been a fan of this series since I was 5 when I read my first Dragon Ball manga. If I recall correctly, it was volume 35...the tail end of the Cell Saga if I remembering it right, it might be collected differently everywhere else so don't correct me on this one. I was hooked when I first read it because back then, I usually read the local humor magazines where they have like five panel comics and some serial stories and some humorous lists and articles...and then my dad bought me two mangas at the time(back then, there were no distinction between comics and mangas in Malaysia). One was Doraemon vol 16 and the other was Dragon Ball vol 35....and that day, my 5 year old mind was blown and a new interest was formed.

I tried to get any Dragon Ball manga I could get at the time, mainly from borrowing from my cousin's older brother...which is also how I discovered Fist of the North Star for the first time. And then came that one day when a friend of mine told me that there was a Dragon Ball cartoon(Again, back then in Malaysia, there were no distinction between cartoons and animes...especially when you were 5 or 6 at the time) airing at a local channel. Unfortunately, it was in Mandarin....which my friend neglected to tell me. You can imagine what I did to him that Monday for not letting me know about the language in the first place but at least there was subtitles in Malay so at least I can watch it. That is until sometime later(sorry I can't be more specific, I couldn't find out when Dragon Ball first aired in Malaysia. If anyone's reading this, can you let me know? It aired in RTM2) and from that day on....I became a fan of the series and so does a lot of kids back then. Heck, when we get back to school on Mondays, we be talking about what happened on the show when it aired on Saturdays and Sundays.....and that's also the main problem. It only aired on Saturdays and Sundays with no reruns and no marathons  If you miss one episode, you are hosed and this is bad when your mom and dad decided to go visit grandma at the village and decided to go there in the morning and not the night before....or your school decided to have replacement classes or co-curricular activities that Saturday. Now, you might think that I'm being selfish and utterly ridiculous.....but remember, I was a kid back then and we all act selfish and be ridiculous when we were kids, right?

Anyways, the series isn't just popular with the kids at the time because if I recall correctly, there are some adults who enjoyed the series as well. My dad is one of them. See, my dad , who never really liked watching TV, actually sat down and watched the series with me. Now you might think that it's just my dad having quality time with me....which I guess it was but he still remembered the name the local dub used for the Kamehameha....and he still remembered it to this day. Some of the teachers in my primary school also enjoyed it as well as not only they allowed us to extend our recess when we were having school on a Saturday from 9:30 - 9:50 to 9:30 - 10:00 and even asked the canteen manager to turn on the TV so that we can watch, especially when one of the teacher is the kind of teacher who wouldn't allow a student to be at the canteen even one second past the recess period and trust me, some of us were surprised that we got to watch our favorite show at school.

The show was dubbed in Malay and unfortunately, it's far from perfect. Some of the characters were given fairly different names and others were a bit odd. For example, Goku wasn't called Goku until he grew up and Piccolo was called Majumiya, a corruption from the pseudonym that he used in the World Martial Arts Tournament, Ma Jr and by the way, Piccolo was known as Majumiya all the way to GT. Heck, some of my friends still called Piccolo Majumiya to this day even after they watched the Japanese dub. Of course the dub isn't really that bad, some even say it's one of the best locally dubbed anime in Malaysia at the time. Heck, the 90's was the Golden Age of Malay dubs if you ask any 90's Malaysian kids and the dub, from my recollection, still holds up in quality...that is, if anyone actually recorded it. I tried looking it up but to no avail. Heck, when I look it up on Youtube, they show the hilariously bad English dub. For the sake of audio torture, here it is:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wG84efH4sw . And before you ask, that was from the VCD version that they used to sell and to my recollection, never aired on TV. Heck, they never aired any of the Dragon Ball movies on TV....but they do sold comic adaptations of the movies...and by adaptation, I mean, they just used screen captures of the movies and put speech balloons on them.

I'm not finished with this just yet for I have a lot to talk about. Consider this post a trial run of the blog. If it works, I'll continue...and if it fails, I'll just bury this blog with the rest of my failed projects. Post your comments below so I can ascertain whether or not I'll continue with this. Thanks for reading this and I hope you have a great day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So you want to give Anime a try?

About this blog and the blogger

Writer calls out Cancel Culture, Immediately proven right